ORCA Hub Open Day
The ORCA Hub Open Day drew attendees from the oil and gas and renewables industries, funding bodies, innovation centres, development agencies and other universities.
Presentations from Hub Director, David Lane, and the Work Theme leads were followed up by an exhibition of demonstrations and posters from the ORCA teams in the afternoon.
The ORCA industry demonstration day provided an excellent opportunity for companies who haven't yet had a chance to engage with the hub's activities to learn about the high quality science taking place and see that science being applied to current industry challenges.
Simon Reeve - VP Technology & Innovation, Lloyds Register
The following demonstrations were on display:
1. The Limpet: a multi-sensing, immobile robot – Alistair McConnell, Sayed Mohammed (University of Edinburgh)
2. Four-legged robot walking in rough terrain– Wouter Wolfslag, Guiyang Xin, Carlo Tiseo, Michael Mistry (University of Edinburgh)
3. Navigation and motion planning with the ANYmal quadruped – Andreia Vasconcelos, Simona Nobili, Milad Remanazi (University of Oxford)
4. Underwater 3D reconstruction and mapping with stereo vision - Tomasz Luczynski, Sen Wang (Heriot-Watt University)
5. Operator cognitive load estimation through language - Helen Hastie, José David Lopes, Katrin Lohan (Heriot-Watt University)
6. Video commentary summarisation, search and indexing using topic mapping - Mike Chantler, Pierre Le Bras (Heriot-Watt University)
7. Remote operation of robots and autonomous systems through natural language - Helen Hastie, Xingkun Liu (Heriot-Watt University)
8. MIRIAM - Multimodal Intelligent inteRactIon for Autonomous systeMs - David Robb (Heriot-Watt University)
9. Probabilistic model checking for robots deployed in extreme environments - Xingyu Zhao (Heriot-Watt University)
10. Towards certification of unmanned aircraft for offshore asset inspection - Matt Webster, Vince Page, Charles Patchett, Mike Jump (University of Liverpool)
11. Tether-powered aerial drone demonstration - Chang Liu, Arnau Garriga Casanovas (Imperial College London)
I was very impressed with the professional level of presentation, the interactive nature of the demonstrations and the quality of conversations taking place.
Prof. David Lane - ORCA Hub Director