Privacy information for partners, supporters and other contacts.
ORCA Hub is committed to looking after any information that is made available to us, when you visit our website or communicate with us, in accordance with data protection laws. This privacy notice outlines what categories of information we collect and how we use it.
What is the ORCA HUB?
The ORCA HUB is a joint programme led by the Edinburgh Centre for Robotics (Heriot-Watt University and the University of Edinburgh), in collaboration with Imperial College London and the Universities of Oxford and Liverpool. You can find more information about our work here.
Who is the Data Controller?
Heriot-Watt University is the Data Controller for personal data we hold about you. When collecting and processing information about you, we must comply with the UK Data Protection Act, 2018, the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other privacy laws. Information on Heriot-Watt University's data protection policies can be found here.
What personal information do we collect?
- Contact information: email, phone and postal addresses that you provide when contacting us via email
- Employer details: if you provide them to us when contacting us by email
- Details of outgoing and incoming correspondence with you
- Whether you open the emails we send and whether you click links in those emails
- Your participation in ORCA Hub events and activities
- Information you share with us on our social media accounts
- Contact details obtained from public sources including corporate websites
- Details of our interactions with you to discuss development opportunities
Special categories of data
We may also process sensitive information, also known as special categories of data under the following conditions
- With your explicit consent: details of your dietary and access requirements that you have given us as part of event registrations.
Why we collect your data
For engagement and marketing and purposes:
- To keep you up to date with ORCA Hub news, developments and events.
What’s our legal basis?
- We will only contact you if you have provided us with your prior consent for electronic communication via our Mailchimp form - https://orcahub.us18.list-mana...
We will always respect your privacy and your wishes in how we contact you. We will never seek to obtain from elsewhere any personal contact details, including home postal or email addresses, landline or mobile phone numbers, that you have not chosen to share with us.
If you have connected with us on LinkedIn and updated your details there e.g. if you change jobs, we may contact you via LinkedIn to ask if we may add your updated details to our database.
We will use your data to:
- Send you newsletters and other updates from ORCA Hub
- Invite you to ORCA Hub events
You can unsubscribe from further communications at any time.
We may collect non-personally-identifiable information relating to your use of our site via Google Analytics technology. Further information and instructions for opting out of Google Analytics tracking are available at:
We will not sell, rent or share your information with third parties.
We will hold your personal information on our system for as long as necessary to:
- Keep you up to date with our activities, if you have signed up to our newsletter for as long as you chose to subscribe
- Respond to your query, but no longer than 1 month after we have replied to your query
More information about our records retention policies is available here
Data Protection Officer and contact details
If you have any questions about what we do with your personal information or your rights under privacy laws, you can contact us in the following ways:
Data Protection Officer, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, UK
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to websites run by other organisations. This statement applies only to our site and we are not responsible for the policies or practices of other sites.
If you are aged 13 or under‚ please get your parent/guardian's permission beforehand whenever you provide us with personal information.
Review of this Privacy Notice
This privacy notice was last updated February 2019.